Monday, October 29, 2007

My Worst Nightmare - I've Become Mom On Sunday Mornings!!!!

You all remember mom on Sunday mornings and if you don't here is our Sunday ritual growing up! Mom would be the last one ready, girls couldn't find their shoes, total chaos and we all arrived late to church! I'm sad to say that that was the way my house was yesterday morning! The really sad thing is that it was only Ella and myself - not 5 girls and two parents getting ready!

Chris leaves with the older two around 8:15 for Sunday School. I then get in the shower while Ella watches TV, wets her pants, or plays and makes a mess in Emma and Anna's room. We were both dressed and ready to go (even had time to put pigtails in Ella's hair) until we had to put on Ella's shoes. I knew I had not seen them since Friday morning when she tried wearing them to Brenda's for the day and Chris made her change. I search through the whole upstairs, wasting valuable minutes, and could not find them. I head downstairs where Ella is yelling "found them" only to find that she had found her Dora sandals! I scan the toy room - don't see them - so I go to the family room and I find ONE! It is now 20 after nine and my time is running short. As I put on that shoe - I scan the room again and do not see the other shoe! I move pillows and blankets - still no shoe! I had just about given up and thought Ella would have to go to church with no shoes, when I spotted the shoe on the corner of the fireplace. I hurried and put the shoe on Ella and ran upstairs with her only to discover that her coat was not at the top of the stairs!!! I chuck my heels off and run back to her room, while yelling at her to NOT take her shoes off because Mommy took hers off, got her coat, put on my shoes, put her coat on and out the door we went!!!!

I'm needing a little encouragement here! Please tell me that this was probably a one-time thing and that it will not be a recurring event each Sunday!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I remember well when I lived with you guys and yes, it all sounds extremely familiar!! You are your mom!!! (Not that that is a bad thing of course)
Aunt Gail

Anonymous said...

haha..that is awesome..miss organized herself was late for church...yay!!

love ya

Kendall

pretty soon you'll be doing a load of dishes or a load of laundry right before you leave the house...or going to the bathroom...

Anonymous said...

I think it is just genetics! I have no children and I am always late for class Tuesday and Wednesday because I think I know what I am going to wear only end up changing 3 times before leaving! There is nothing wrong with putting a load in the washer or dishwasher before leaving the house!

Kori

Nick and Kelly McCormick said...

Karen,

Quick! Check! Where are the scissors...the only pair of scissors in the whole house! Can you find those? If so, then you're still somewhat organized!

For those of you who don't get it, we only had one pair of scissors in the hosue and they were always lost when we were little. Because of that, Karen and I both keep about five pairs of scissors and joke around about how we know where they're at!!

Mom, we love you and are just teasing you! You maybe had no idea where our shoes were at on Sundays, but you always had tons of homemade goodies for us to eat and you always let us have the run of the house when we were playing all of our make-believe games!

Grandma Budke said...

It IS genetics, your Mom had five girls and I had six kids to get ready!!Thankfully, by the time Gail
and Chris came along, the three
oldest were a BIG help with the
little ones.Karen your problem Sunday was that your best helper
had already gone to church(Emma
and probably Anna,too). If you only
have one or two pairs of shoes they
won't get lost so easily, right,
Ruth?
One more thing, God won't be angry
with you for being late--He knows, so don't be so hard on yourself--
take a deep breath and let it out SLOWLY and thank Him for all the
blessings He has bestowed on all of you!!!

Grandma Budke said...

P.S.Don't know if there is any comfort in this, but it is NOT a
one time occurrence and it WILL
happen again!! The best part is that it WILL get better over time. Why not give Emma the task every Saturday night of getting all the girls shoes together and in their rooms or maybe lined up in the
living room and give her an allow-ance for doing it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've got to defend myself!! For all you mothers out there, especially mothers of daughters, I can only say, "The curse worked!!!" I knew that someday, hopefully, they would understand (Thank you, Kori, for already being at that point!!)
And I have known where my scissors are for a few years now (I think since the older girls left home -- what could that possibly mean?) I now have two pairs, one upstairs and one down!!!
And Kendall, Karen already has the load of laundry going and does the bathroom thing!!
And about that allowance thing, we got big allowances at the time for helping, didn't we, Stacy and Gail?
Okay, I'm done!!! I love you all, too!!

Anonymous said...

What on earth is an allowance?????

Anonymous said...

he! he! made me think of couple sundays ago I got everyone ready Nick was loaded the kids in the van and I then came in a rush to the van, and thought mmm its really cold this morning!! coming to relize, I didnt have any shoes on!!!you were doing good at least you were thinking of shoes!

Grandma Budke said...

It's very hard to give your kids allowances when you had trouble just keeping them clothed(before
Budke).Besides your father didn't believe in allowances,as a part of the family there were things you
had to help with!!!