Thursday, April 22, 2010

American Girl Doll Trip


































































Great Grandma Budke bought the girls, myself, and mom Peoria Charter tickets to go to the American Girl Doll Store in Chicago on Good Friday. I had a hard time facing the fact that mom would not be going with us and knew that I would need to have someone who would thoroughly embrace the shopping day and so my BFF Sherry was there to rescue to me! Chris offered to go first, but with the great weather - he had to work and I don't think that really bothered him! Sherry wanted to check out the store for her little darling, Kali, who will one day, I'm sure, make the trip with us! We had a great time and couldn't believe the treatment these dolls get at the restaurant and the store - they even have a beauty shop and a hospital! The girls loved it and Sherry and I enjoyed everything except the bus trip (Sherry says we'll drive next time).

I couldn't make it through the day without crying or thinking about mom. When I took Ella to the bathroom, they had little holders for the dolls to sit in while you went to the bathroom. I knew mom would have thought they were ridiculous and she would have laughed at them. That got me! The waterworks turned on!

Thanks for checking in and I apologize for it being so long....it's hard writing knowing that mom isn't going to comment. You'll probably find that I'll use this as a form of "therapy" - hope you all don't mind:)


kj






















6 comments:

LiveLoveRodeo said...

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I seem to remember that when I got my doll (15 years ago...) you didn't have the option of going to a place to do that. If something happened to our dolls we had to actually mail them to the center & they would mail them back. If you ever want to go again, count me in, my Kirsten doll needs her hair re-done!
As for Ruth going, I'm sure she would have done exactly what MY mom would have done - scoffed & laughed but secretly liked it a little. <3

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see your post and read about the American Girl store. I had a chance to go several years ago with my niece Morgan. We took the Amtrak and I would highly recommend it. Then we took cabs to and from the station. What a wonderful experience your girls had! It is so much fun to see it through a little girl's eyes. How very special this was for them. I know there are difficult moments and probably more to come. School and church is different without her and some days a little difficult. God bless you all.
Connie

Brittany said...

What a cool thing for the girls to get to do!! Every once in awhile I get an American Girl catalog in the mail (I have no idea why since I've never had one) and I always enjoy seeing all of the new outfits there are to buy! So much cooler than the Rainbow Brite doll I had :) I've heard that place is amazing so I'm glad you girls had the experience!

And even though some things bring on the waterworks, I always tell myself that it's better to have the thoughts/memories and deal with crying than to not have them or feel no emotion, so don't ever apologize for it!! I guarantee you are not alone :) And it's awesome that Sherry was able to go with you - what a great friend :)

Rankin Family said...

Big Hugs!!!
for fun, its amazing the stuff that American doll has, we went to the store in Mall of America and was so much fun! next time you are on your way up here, we will have to meet at the one in Blommington!
Hugs and Blessings!

Grandma Budke said...

I am so happy all you girls(?) liked
the trip,even though it had its sad
moments,Karen.I have a lot of those,
too and I have all the growing-up to
remember as well.I know your Mom
would have had fun and enjoyed seeing
your girls enjoying every bit of it,
so keep the memories fresh.I've
gotten a bit of flack from her for not providing Barbies for my girls.
Her Dad and I thought,at that time
the dolls were to mature for kids!!

Anonymous said...

What fun pictures Karen! I am very proud of you for still going on the trip! I'm not sure I could have handled it. I am betting that it was an experience the girls will never forget and that's the good that came out of it. :) Love you!
Kendall