Sunday, May 16, 2010

Welcome To The Barn!

Can't have a spring on the farm without a new litter of kittens! A little inbreeding going on here!
Maddie likes to get nose to nose with them and they don't mind checking her out either!


Just the right size for Ella!


They fight terribly over their feed - kids!


Don't forget about the steers! These two have been a challenge for Chris to halterbreak!




We've added some new additions to our barn in the last couple of weeks. We're gearing up for the 4-H fair and of course, spring always brings new babies on the farm! Pigs are a new experience for us and they are so far a great joy! They make us laugh every time we've gone out to the barn - ok, I'm sure the honeymoon period will end soon with these two animals, but so far I just love them! They are like having two puppies! They chew on everything and are so curious about anything we do. Chris and I laugh so much at them! Their names are Gibby and Reggie. I always have to name the animals or there is too much fighting between the girls. Gibby is from iCarly and Reggie is from the ISU Redbird mascot whose name is Reggie. No names for the steers yet, though I'm sure Chris has certain names for them that would not be appropriate for me to put on here! I'm thinking the one with the purple halter should be called Houdini since he always manages to get his halter off!
Thanks for checking in!
Karen

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your family is growing by leaps and bounds. What fun for the girls. I want to come out and have them show me around:) And swim in the new pool too!!!!!
Aunt Stacy

The James Gang said...

They would love for you to come out and show off their animals and swim with them. Keep the last Thurs and Fri in July open - that's when Emma shows!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that two of my girls LOVE pigs. Oh well as long as they bring enjoyment, and you haven't gone back to sheep. Love the pictures looks like Ella is enjoying them. Keep the pictures coming. Glad to see you posted.
Grandpa and Grandma Rankin

Brittany said...

So much fun!! You have your hands full - I don't know how you do it, but I am sure that the girls are a huge help taking care of all of your new family members! I bet they love every minute of it too :) Thanks for posting!!

The Machlitt Family said...

I can't wait to come and see your pigs!! They look like so much fun. Can I be there when you let the girls work with them for the first time? I think that will be a very funny thing to watch! I know Ben will love them too!

Can't wait to come down!

Love - Kori

Anonymous said...

Well hello to the James' Farm!!! I love it! And, your pigs seem to be quite a big older than Jacob's!
I have to laugh at Dad's comment about his girls loving pigs. I remember him hating having to do work with the pigs and I always wanted some!
I can't wait to come down and see them and the steers too!! I'm so proud of your girls!


Thanks for posting!
Love ya,
Kim

Anonymous said...

What memories from the farm! We had all of those animals and sheep and chickens, too. Kudos to dad for halter breaking those steers. Does Emma show both pigs and both steers? Anna is too young for
4-H, isn't she? I know your family had so much fun at the fair last year. I'm sure this year will be bigger and better! The girls will want to stay all day!
Connie

The James Gang said...

Connie,
Emma will have to do all of the showing this year, but Anna is ready for her turn next year. The pigs are really for her.

Kim,

Our pigs were born February 14th. They're abour 100 pounds. Our barn still smells like cows which I'm very glad about!

kj

Grandma Budke said...

Last Saturday the Junior Master
Gardeners of Mason County which
Emma and Anna belong to went to the
fairgrounds with the rest of the
group from Manito to shop for plants to put in their plots. This
is always one of the high spots of
the year because they get to choose
whatever they wish(but no shrubs
or perenials unless they are herbs).
What didn't go in the ground at the fairgrounds came home with them to plant and the plots looked VERY nice as they finished up!!I
was very proud of all the JRMG and
the hard work they did. Manito had
a group of six,so you'll have to go
to the fairgrounds and have them
show you their plots at fair time!
Of course there is a lot of work to
be done between now and then--hoeing and weeding and pulling weeds, but the JRMG really like to
get down and dirty!!!Grandma Budke

Rankin Family said...

ahw! looks like lots to do at the James farm! hope we can make it down to visit this year!

Anonymous said...

There has'nt been any Hogs in that barn for over 50 years. It looks like every one is enjoying the new menbers to the gang. Grandpa Rankin